Monday, October 20, 2008

Flow

Flow exemplifies when you are 'on a roll'. When there is quiet in the house, when no interruptions are going to happen, and you have time to relax. Generally after 9 PM when kids asleep.

Parts of Flow familiar to me are - loss of self-consciousness, distorted sense of time, effortless, personal control, focus, rewarding. I often experience Flow on a film set. When i am directing goals are very clear. In my head i have shot the film and know which shots i have to get. I know which shots bookend the shot we are taking. I know what transition on the edges of cuts i need whether it be motion, colour, sound or emotion. I also know which shots can be binned if time is pressing while still getting coverage of the scene.

This process is not dependant on shot or chronological order. If shots are out of order from the shot list for the day i can scan along mentally to track where i am chronologically. Imagine a tape loop that can be scanned back and forth

I have strong concentration and focus on my Flow as film sets can be pretty distracting places. I argue as well that directing is creative writing as you are amending, cutting, repositioning, re-scripting on the fly.

Creative writing wise i really need to develop my concentration and focus. I also seem to try things too adventurous sometimes.

No comments: