Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Flickr

As part of Sue Thomas' lecture she talked about Flickr and, by extension, other web 2.0 applications. I'm still having problems seeing the worth in these applications. Are they not just extensions of peoples ego's? Do we need to know what you are doing every second of the day however mind numbingly dull? I mentioned this in a tutorial with Sue and we talked briefly on this issue. Sue was saying, I believe, that it was the patterns and swarms within the linking in these applications that can create meaning. In Flickr it is the comments, the linking, the tagging which construct new meaning over and above the picture, text, audio itself.

The trick. I believe, is not to think in terms of structure or organisation - what goes where and why, but to dip in pull something out and see what comes with it. I feel a leap of faith is needed. So here I go. I shall register with Flikr and see what may.

No comments: