Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Butterflies

The brief : No writing to do this week, but a challenge to find or make an image, video or sound to accompany the following short memoir. Post just the material, no text or explanation, in this thread. Let's see how you can manage without words!

Source: http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/But.shtml#2

My image is shown left. I constructed this in photoshop. First time i had ever created something like this - an image to create meaning. Did it as an experiment to use a different creative tool and whether I could create something more New Media ish than plain text. I used Photoshop to set the layout and construct the form. Have to say it was a joy to use and fairly quickly i created a basic backdrop. The images were from open source Cd's. I chose the door to represent closed thinking and decay. The paper layers add depth to the image and add a feeling of symbols and signs - perhaps as signifiers of hidden feelings. Experimented with the eye dropper tool to remove background colors, then tweaked opacity. Think it works, creating an atmosphere. I'm pleased with this!





No comments: